Pictured: Tariq Aziz, Laura Harvey, Dr. Rob Carruthers, and Jamie McDowell join colleagues with the UBC MS & NMO Program in support of Burgers to Beat MS on August 22. Image credit: Michelle Eisner.
- Dr. Wolfram Tetzlaff was reappointed as ICORD Director.
- Dr. Raymond Lam was appointed as Visiting Professor at the Shanghai Mental Health Center (SMHC). Dr. Lam and colleagues in UBC’s Department of Psychiatry have been in China to sign a Memorandum of Understanding linking UBC and SMHC.
- Dr. Martin McKeown was awarded funding for a Collaborative Health Research Project (CHRP) with Dr. Jane Wang (Faculty of Applied Science) from CIHR. The project, Confidential automatic monitoring, examination, and recognition of disease activity (CAMERA): Application to Parkinson and Alzheimer diseases, was funded under the CHRP program, which unites researchers across disciplines in order to tackle Canadian health challenges.
- Dr. Trisha Chakrabarty was awarded funding through the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research’s Health Professional-Investigator (HP-I) Program for her project, Virtual Reality for Cognitive Training in Depression: the bWell Cognitive Care Platform. Recipients of HP-I awards receive funding for up to five years to support research focused on answering questions arising from their clinical practice.
- Dr. Cheryl Wellington, Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose, and Dr. Thalia Field are VCHRI 2019 Innovation and Translational Research Award recipients.
- Dr. Wellington: TAPping into concussion blood biomarkers: feasibility assessment of Touch Activated Phlebotomy (TAP) for youth concussion blood biomarker studies
- Dr. Liu-Ambrose: Enhancing the body-brain connection to improve physical, cognitive and mood outcomes in high-risk community-dwelling older adults
- Dr. Field: Clinical data And NAtuRal language processing for earlY detection of dementia (CANARY)
- Congratulations to the IMH Marshall Scholarship and Fellowship Awardees! The IMH Marshall Scholars and Fellows Program in Mental Health supports promising young scholars who will contribute to advancing research and treatment of psychiatric disorders. View the list of 20 recipients, and read the announcement from Dr. Lakshmi Yatham.
— Eli York (@elimyork) August 6, 2019
— Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health (@DMCBrainHealth) August 13, 2019
The clouds parted leaving stunning views of the snow-capped volcanoes around Puerto Varas, and we took advantage on a walk break from the #APECChile2019 Health Working Group meetings. @APEC_MHHub @APEC @CANMAT_org @GovCanHealth pic.twitter.com/IWhJ41JGVt
— Raymond Lam (@DrRaymondLam) August 19, 2019
Thanks to Mr. Hamid Eshghi and Mr. Vahid Eshghi of the Djavad Mowafaghian Foundation for their tremendous support of the Centre for Brain Health at UBC. pic.twitter.com/6qqwClXhwh
— Santa J. Ono (@ubcprez) August 22, 2019
— Raymond Lam (@DrRaymondLam) August 26, 2019
- I Should Be Allowed to Leave Men Out of My Studies (VICE, July 31)
- New treatment for bipolar depression could have fewer side effects (VCHRI News, August 6)
- Dr. Emma Morton awarded fellowship from Marshall Scholars and Fellows Program (CREST.BD, August 16)
- Guy With Depression Shares The Hidden Messages His GF Leaves For Him, And 292k People Love Them (BoredPanda, August 16)
- A letter to Canada’s Chief Electoral Officer from 352 scientists (The Rossland Telegraph, August 22)
- Women’s shelter executive director ‘transitioning’ to new position (Kelowna Daily Courier, August 22)
- Why Canada needs a plan to address dementia and Alzheimer’s (Calgary’s Business, August 25)
- The Innovator: How Claudia Krebs Is Pioneering a New Kind of Medical Education (The Tyee, August 27)
- Sex robots increase the potential for gender-based violence (The Conversation, August 27)
Did we miss something? Do you have a story tip? We want to hear from you! Send your research highlights, upcoming publications, trainee successes, and funding and awards news to email@example.com.