Pictured: part of the DMCBH Sun Run team, photographed by Warren Myers (PI: Dr. Kurt Haas) at BC Place Stadium on Sunday, April 22, 2018.
- Dr. Doris Doudet was elected Treasurer of the UBC Faculty Association.
- Dr. Lakshmi Yatham has been awarded Gerald L. Klerman Senior Investigator Award from the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. This award recognizes researchers whose work furthers knowledge of the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of depression and bipolar disorder. Dr. Yatham will receive the award at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association in New York in May.
- Dr. Jacqueline Quandt was awarded a NanoString Neuroscience Grant for her project, Characterizing brain-specific neuropathology in off target tissues in an animal model of MS.
- Dr. Jehannine Austin was awarded the 2017-2018 UBC Killam Teaching Prize. This honour recognizes her outstanding achievement as an educator.
- Dr. Thalia Field received a Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute Investigator Award for her project, Study of Rivaroxaban for cerebral venous thrombosis.
- Dr. Judith Hall received the Rimoin Lifetime Achievement Award from the ACMG Foundation for Genetic and Genomic Medicine.
- UBC Graduate Program in Neuroscience “Neuroscience Through the Ages” team wins 2018 CAN Neuroscience Outreach & Advocacy Award.
- And congratulations to the DMCBH SunRun Team! Led by Warren Myers in Dr. Kurt Haas’ lab, the team finished second in the Health/Medical/Dental category.
— CBCEarlyEdition (@CBCEarlyEdition) April 2, 2018
— Shreejoy Tripathy (@neuronJoy) April 9, 2018
Wellington lab researchers need participants for a @CureAlzheimers-funded study to understand the role of white blood cells in determining Alzheimer’s risk. Our staff were excited to get involved! For more information, @ us or connect with @Jerome_tata. pic.twitter.com/H3nPkHQA1L
— Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health (@DMCBrainHealth) April 12, 2018
— Erin Michalak (@erin_michalak) April 17, 2018
Undergrad in the lab finding all the weird hippocampal granule neurons! Wins award for longest dendrites ever. pic.twitter.com/c07nLFcM7i
— Jason Snyder aka Jason Synder (@jsnsndr) April 20, 2018
- Microglia’s heretical self-renewal (Nature Neuroscience, March 28)
- The neuroscience of effective studying (UBC Psychology, March 29)
- Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose on the inclusion of women in clinical trials (51:45 minute mark, CBC The Early Edition, April 2)
- Kristine Chapman and Judy Illes: Stem cells claims are ahead of the science (Vancouver Sun, April 5)
- Student club petitions UBC to provide more comprehensive undergraduate neuroscience education (The Ubyssey, April 10)
- A brighter future with bipolar disorder (VCHRI, April 12)
- These 7 Surprising Facts About Patience Will Change Everything About How You Live Your Life (Inc., April 12)
- ARIT 2017 Poster Session Feature: Alexander Rauscher (OSTA Bridges blog, April 16)
- Smartphone “house calls” revolutionize monitoring of Parkinson’s disease (VCHRI, APril 19)
- On the Formation and Morphology of Lipid Nanoparticles Containing Ionizable Cationic Lipids and siRNA (Science in the City, April 20)
Did we miss something? Do you have a story tip? We want to hear from you! Send your research highlights, upcoming publications, trainee successes, and funding and awards news to firstname.lastname@example.org.