The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) has announced the results of its Fall 2021 project grant competition. Congratulations to all the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health members who were awarded project grants and priority announcement grants.
Overall, UBC researchers are leading 61 projects that have been awarded $36 million in funding.
Read the full UBC announcement
Learn more about our DMCBH-affiliated researchers’ projects:
- Association between Complement C4 and Synaptic Pathology in Schizophrenia
Principal Investigator: Clare Beasley
- Drinking with Mary Jane: Understanding sex differences in the effects of prenatal marijuana and alcohol consumption for learning and memory processes.
Principal Investigator: Brian Christie
- Mixed-methods study investigating the efficacy and acceptance of a seated exercise program delivered virtually to improve mobility in older adults living with stroke
Principal Investigator: Janice Eng
- The cellular and molecular mechanisms of lactic acid taste in flies and disease-vectoring mosquitoes.
Principal Investigator: Michael Gordon
- Light and Ion Maintenance In Treatment of Depression (LIMIT-D) Trial: Feasibility Study
Principal Investigator: Raymond Lam
- Moving More: Supporting Uptake of Evidence for Physical Activity in Older Adults with Complex Health Care Needs
Principal Investigators: Linda Li and Teresa Liu-Ambrose
- Regeneration at your fingertips: mechanisms determining mesenchymal tissue repair versus fibrosis
Principal Investigator: Freda Miller
- Elucidating the novel roles of gap junction and Zonula occludens (ZO) proteins as regulators of synapse number and position
Principal Investigator: Kota Mizumoto
- 3-dimensional representation of mouse movement and rapid interaction with cortical brain activity to describe and shape behavior to improve outcome from stroke: insights from real and synthetic data approaches.
Principal Investigator: Tim Murphy
- Impact of blood transfusion on cerebral blood flow regulation in experimental and pathological brain hypoxia in humans.
Principal Investigator: Mypinder Sekhon
- Design and Preclinical Development of First-in-Class Selective T-type Calcium Channel Blockers for Chronic Pain
Principal Investigator: Terrance Snutch
- Metabolic treatment for chronic spinal cord injury in rodents
Principal Investigator: Wolfram Tetzlaff
Priority Announcement Grants:
- Gamifying neuro rehabilitation, can we predict who will benefit?
Priority announcement: Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addiction
Principal Investigators: Lara Boyd and Sarah Kraeutner
- Lipid Nanoparticle-Mediated Delivery of CRISPR/Cas9 Gene Editing for Neurological Disorders.
Priority announcement: Genetics (Bridge Funding: Research Priorities)
Principal Investigator: Blair Leavitt