- Vanessa Evans was awarded the Department of Psychiatry Staff Service Award. “Vanessa received the award for her outstanding and sustained contributions to our Mood Disorders Group, the Department, and the University,” said Dr. Raymond Lam.
- Dr. Judy Illes has been recalled and appointed Vice-Chair of the Internal Advisory Board of the Institute of Neuroscience, Mental Health and Addiction.
- Neuroethics Canada’s Marianne Bacani created the winning design for Brain Awareness Week 2018; her sticker design won first place, and will be the “face” of next year’s campaign.
Really optimistic TEDx talk emphasising that we can improve knowledge, habits& skills. Neural plasticity. (Think of it as mechanotransduction applied to the brain ;)) https://t.co/2m20UDrrgE 15 million views. The great Professor Lara Boyd. @UBC @DMCBrainHealth pic.twitter.com/GeVbDexzvg
— British Journal of Sports Medicine (BJSM) (@BJSM_BMJ) November 27, 2017
Great meeting with @ubcprez Santa Ono and VP Research Gail Murphy about our int’l initiatives in #mooddisorders, incl Shanghai #EMBED study & hosting 2019 World Congress Biological Psychiatry #wfsbp #wfsbp2017 @APEC_MHHub @DMCBrainHealth @JustinTrudeau @CREST_BD @CANBIND pic.twitter.com/U9xjlcruqs
— Raymond Lam (@DrRaymondLam) November 29, 2017
— UBC Prospective Undergraduates (@youbc) December 13, 2017
— Parkinson Canada (@ParkinsonCanada) December 16, 2017
New #UpGoer5 style simple writer summary by @yvrjoey of our preprint with @jiayingzhao! If you don’t worry about changes made by people in how hot the air is, you will not see the signs. https://t.co/GE9qB0G2sY
— Dr. Beck Todd, (@BecketTodd) December 18, 2017
Our latest: Stressful experiences differentially regulate immediate-early genes and stress hormone receptors in immature and mature dentate gyrus neurons. https://t.co/cghrJQBGTu pic.twitter.com/KH4sTDAxFH
— Jason Snyder aka Jason Synder (@jsnsndr) December 19, 2017
- Babies feel hugs right down to their genes (NY Daily News, November 27)
- The beautiful merger of art and science that inspired generations of neuroscientists (Massive Science, November 30)
- Best psychology universities in Canada: 2018 ranking (Maclean’s, November 30)
- Opinion: Myth of liberation therapy for MS finally put to rest (Montreal Gazette, December 6)
- Study by proponent of neck vein-widening therapy for MS finds treatment ineffective (CMAJ News, December 7)
- This Neuroscientist Wants Researchers to Study More Female Brains (Vice, December 8)
- Excitement as trial shows Huntington’s drug could slow progress of disease (The Guardian, December 11)
- Huntington’s breakthrough may stop disease (BBC News, December 11)
- ‘Groundbreaking’ drug trial could lead to first Huntington’s disease treatment (CTV News, December 11)
- ‘Phenomenal’ trial results may lead to a treatment for Huntington’s disease, experts say (The Washington Post, December 12)
- Self-care and Bipolar Disorder: Putting Yourself in the Driver’s Seat (CREST.BD blog, December 13)
- The secrets of a healthy gut (VCHRI News, December 14)
Did we miss something? Do you have a story tip? We want to hear from you! Send your research highlights, upcoming publications, trainee successes, and funding and awards news to firstname.lastname@example.org.