- Research Areas
- Dynamic Brain Circuits and Connections in Health and Disease
- Core facilities
- Research administration services
- News & Events
- Brain Matters Newsletter
- Neuroscience Research Colloquia
You are hereNewsroom
Member news: December 2018
Pictured: Alireza Kamyabi (smiling, centre), graduate student in Dr. Brian MacVicar's lab, and colleagues present their research during a recent donor tour. Image credit: Paul Joseph/UBC.
Dr. Matt Sacheli's research on exercise and Parkinson's disease received a nod in this year-end review of highlights in movement disorders research in the journal Lancet Neurology. "There are approximately 6,000 papers per year published on Parkinson’s, so it is indeed nice for Matt's research to be selected," said Dr. Jon Stoessl, Sacheli's PhD supervisor.
Dr. Jerome Robert and Dr. Tom Cheng, postdoctoral fellows in Dr. Cheryl Wellington's lab, received Employer Recognition Awards. The Faculty of Science co-op employer recognition award recognizes companies and supervisors who provided exceptional work experiences to science co-op students.
Dr. Cindy Barha, a postdoctoral fellow in Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose's lab, was awarded a 2018 WHRI Catalyst Grant for her project, Momnesia: Investigating the neural basis for reduced memory and executive functions across pregnancy.
Dr. Paul van Donkelaar appeared on the podcast I Love Kelowna to discuss cutting edge research into traumatic brain injury and domestic partner violence.
- Exercise is a real prescription for Parkinson's
- Understanding the gut-brain connection
- The search for a cure starts with fundraising
Finally got to present this poster in person; not at #SfN but at Neuroextravaganza @DMCBrainHealth @UBCNeuroGSA and it was a lot of fun discussing the data with a brilliant bunch pic.twitter.com/G5TzJrewLH— Leili Mortazavi (@LeiliMortazavi) December 6, 2018
Look at those smiling faces! They are what gets me up in the morning. They never fail to cheer me up, tolerate my chatting endlessly about life & science. I inherited my PDF mentor(B McEwen)'s propensity to spill out 10 y of "simple" expts to them & they still smile! #microgaleas pic.twitter.com/6R4rcIk0zs— Dr. Liisa Galea (@LiisaGalea) December 14, 2018
You all proved what a positive and supportive science community we have here in Vancouver! Our 3rd top performing tweet congratulated Dr. @MarkCembrowski on his award from the @AllenInstitute, and welcomed him to @UBCmedicine! https://t.co/Cn9tOTqlIf— Science in the City (@ScienceVancity) December 19, 2018
- Ask an Expert: Feeling Stressed this Holiday Season? Mindfulness Could Help. (VCHRI News, December 1)
- Rebuilding the brain after stroke: David's story (VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation news, December 1)
- Parkinson’s Foundation Hosts Its First-Ever Medical Marijuana and Parkinson’s Disease Conference (Parkinson.org, December 4)
- 6 Ways Traveling Can Make You A Better Employee (Forbes, December 5)
- 14 faculty members named to global Highly Cited Researchers List 2018 (UBC Faculty of Medicine news, December 10)
- What the research actually says about taking antidepressants during pregnancy (Today's Parent, December 11)
- A year of surprise and discovery (UBC News, December 18)
- Pushing the frontiers of knowledge: The 2018 Killam Prize (CBC Radio, December 19)
Did we miss something? Do you have a story tip? We want to hear from you! Send your research highlights, upcoming publications, trainee successes, and funding and awards news to firstname.lastname@example.org.